Monday, September 28, 2009

my hats

I was thinking about all the hats I wear. Some I wear all the time, others I switch around. They are all different but each important in their own way. Some are more important to me than others.

There are two major catagories of hats that I wear; the "who I am hats" and the "what I do hats."

The oldest hat I have of course is my "daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece and cousin hat." I've this one of course my whole life and will never take it off. I got the "aunt hat" 21 years ago when my first nephew was born.

Of course one of my important hats I've had for 20 years, that of wife and life partner to the most wonderful man in the world. Along with that hat of course I got the "inlaw hat" which I do like believe it or not.

The next important hat would be my "mom hat" that I've had for 17 years and represents my two greatest accomplishments; bringing two incredible and wonderfuly talented human beings into this world.

I can't forget my "friend hat." Where would I be without that!?

Those are the hats I never take off. They represent who I am. What follows are the "what I do hats" and change frequently- sometimes once or twice in the same hour!

My volunteer hats, I have two. Sometimes I have to stop myself before taking more! There's my church choir member hat. Actually that should be just my "church member hat" because not only do I sing in the choir, but I'll do other things for the church as well, like bake for events and stuff.

Then there's my "Girl Scout hat." I've worn this one for the past 12 years, because I believe so strongly in the program. If I've even just one little girl to reach her full potientail and grow into a strong young woman than it's 12 years well spent. I've thought about taking this hat off permently, but I can't seem to manage it, at least not yet.

I have my "Weight Watcher Hat" because it brings in a small but steady income and it helps me keep my weight down.

Next is my "Creative Memories Hat" because everyone needs a hobby. It's cheaper than therapy, it's relaxing, and if I can make a little money at it, all the better.

Lastly but centianly not least is my "Writing Hat." That hat doesn't yet bring in an income, but it is my PASSION. I can no more remove this hat than my "who I am hats" nor would I want to.

Those are my hats. Sometimes I get a head ache form all the switching back and forth. Sometimes I do take them all off to give my head a rest. But they are always there waiting. Infact, I need to get to ready to switch out the one I'm wearing now!

What hat are you wearing now?

No comments:

Post a Comment