Wednesday, October 13, 2010

excrept from "Second Chance"


The baby boy was born on March 25, 1986. He was blond, blue eyed and perfect. The baby's mother however, was terrified.

May 12, 2010
I had just sat down on the sofa with my laptop ready to get some writing done when the phone rang. "Check the caller ID please Chris," I called to my son Christian who had just started loading the dishwasher.

"Brian something," Chris said picking up the phone. "Moehrle residence, Chirstian Moehrle speaking...Yes, it's for you mom."

I was expecting somebody from work needing a sub, or a new Creative Memories customer wanting to order. Either would would be great. "Hello?"

"Hello, is the Laura Ann Weis?" inquired the young woman on the other end.

"I used to be," I said with a laugh. Her use of my madian told me it wasn't someone from work or Creative Memories. Perhapps a former classmate was trying to find me.

"My name is Jamie Mush and this is going to sound like a weird question but..." she hesitated for a minute then continued. "My husband has been looking for his birth mother, did you have a child 24 years named Michael Norman?"

Her words hit me like a tidal wave, leaving me under water, struggeling to breath. I knew this day would come..."yes I did." I answered slowly.

I was suddenly transported 24 years in the past. It was a very painful and difficult time, one I have tried to forget. Now the past has come forth and the story must be told. It must be told both for my sake and for the sake of my son. We both need to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment